Healthy Lasagna Recipe
So Tasty So Easy
This recipe makes a 10 slice lasagna.
- 2 pounds/ 1 kg pumpkin pieces, roasted
- 1 pound/ 500 gm thawed store bought spinach
- 1 box of instant lasagne sheets
- 1 1/2 tbs plain flour
- 1 cup olive oil
- 2 cups milk
- 2 cups water
- 2 stock cubes
- 3 cups shredded tasty cheese
Here's how you put together this incredibly easy yet so scrumptious lasagne:
Preheat the oven
Before you start anything, preheat the oven to 450F/225C.
The Bechamel or White Sauce
You'll find most lasagna recipes, or white sauce recipes will call for the use about 2 oz of butter, but I substitute with a good quality olive oil or rice bran oil for healthy recipes.
In a roomy saucepan, heat the olive oil and add the flour. It will clump together, keep stirring and it will become small balls of dough much like thick breadcrumbs.
Pour in the milk then water all at once.
Keep stirring on high heat to prevent the flour from becoming lumpy.
The mixture will suddenly become thick as it begins to boil. Turn down the heat so that it simmers and does not boil.
Keep combining and you'll see the milky mixture thickens quite rapidly.
Turn the heat off when the bechamel is thick and leave this while you prepare the other ingredients.
Prepare the roasted pumpkin.
In my refrigerator, I have a stock of roasted pumpkin. If you don't have any, prepare the pumpkin firstly and while it's in the oven, then prepare the bechamel sauce.
Prepare the spinach
For a 10 slice lasagna, you'll require 1 pound or 500gm of frozen spinach leaves.
These will need to be thawed before layering onto the lasagna.
This recipe really is simple. In a large saucepan, place all the frozen spinach with a generous splosh of good quality olive oil. Turn the heat on high and stir till it is completely thawed.
Season lightly with salt and pepper.
Make the Lasagna
1. Spoon some white sauce into the base of the oven proof lasagna dish. Just a thin layer will do
2. Layer with instant dry lasagna sheets
3. Layer with all the roasted seasoned pumpkin
4. Add instant lasagna sheets
5. Ladle over the white sauce generously so that all the pasta is entirely covered with sauce
6. Add all the seasoned thawed spinach leaves. Spread it out evenly
7. Add the sheets
8. Top with the remainder of the white sauce
9. Sprinkle the grated cheese evenly on top
10. Bake for 45 minutes till the top is golden brown.
We've created a series of photo tutorials so that you're able to see what each of the steps in this recipe. To view each tutorial, click on the image: