Homemade Chicken Noodle Soup Recipe
In 3 simple Steps
We love homemade chicken noodle soup as a tasty comfort food, and so inexpensive to make too.
A whole chicken is so inexpensive these
days - I bought one today for $3.90 for a 1.5 kg chicken. It was
excellent value, and this dish is easy to cook - it makes for a cost
effective, family meal.
Chicken Noodle Soup
This recipe makes 6 serves of soup.
For this wonderful homemade noodle soup, we make the chicken stock from scratch. That's the best way with homemade soups.
• 2 lb/1 kg chicken maryland pieces with skin and fat removed.
• 1 onion, diced finely
• 4 carrots, diced finely
• 6 potatoes, diced finely
• 8 cups water
• salt, pepper, 3 tsp sugar
• 2 cups of spaghetini noodles, broken into 2 - 3 inch pieces
1. Pop all the ingredients except for the spaghettini into a large soup pot
Bring to the boil, then on low for 20 minutes
2. Lastly add in the noodles and cook till soft
3. Break up the chicken meat, remove and discard chicken bones and serve in individual soup bowls.
Garnish with shaved Parmesan cheese and diced shallots.
- Use a fine noodle for this meal like spaghettini, a fine spaghetti
- For homemade soup, we make our own pure stock. Either trim a chicken carcass or use Maryland pieces which are easier to handle. This is the joint of the thigh and drumstick. This part of the chicken is better for soups or for long cooking as it is not as delicate as breast meat.
- It's also particularly fatty, so be sure to remove all the skin and to cut away fat. You'll see this as white tissue under the skin.
- Maryland pieces are more convenient to work with as the long bones are easier to handle than the carcass.
- You can make stock to freeze for use later. There is nothing more delicious than homemade chicken soup.
Home | Soup Recipes | Chicken Soup Recipes | Homemade Chicken Noodle Soup