This is not just a pumpkin soup recipe, it is a vichysoisse. This is a rather fine soup with real depth of flavor.
|• 1 pound/500gm pumpkin, trimmed, seeded, washed and cut into chunks
• 2 medium sized leeks, trimmed, washed and chopped finely
• Salt, pepper, a little cumin
• 8 cups homemade chicken stock
• 1 cup sour cream
• 1/2 tsp paprika
• 1 tsp finely cut chives
• Freshly ground pepper
• Bring 8 cups of chicken stock to the boil in a large soup pot. It's best to make your own stock. See photo instructions above.
• Pop the pumpkin, leeks and seasoning into the pot.
• Bring to the boil then reduce the temperature to simmer and cook till the pumpkin and leeks are very soft and tender. This should take no more than 20 minutes depending on the variety of pumpkin
• Remove from heat and add more seasoning if required.
• Use a blender to smoosh it all. If you don't have one, a potato masher works just fine.
• If you are making the soup to serve another time, the soup may be frozen at this stage and thawed for use
• When you are about to serve, pour the sour cream into the soup and blend well. Heat through the soup without bringing it to the boil
• Garnish with a sprinkling of paprika and a little dash of finely cut chives.
• If you wish, spoon a dollop of thickened cream on top.
• Serve with hot bread rolls