Meat Pie Recipe
Steak & Mushroom Pie
This meat pie recipe of steak and mushroom is an all
time favorite at our household. So as to reduce the amount of fat
consumed, I make this recipe as a pot pie with only a top layer of pastry as, while we all
love pastry, it is nonetheless, too rich in butter and this is an attempt to reduce our intake of calories.
Easy Steak n Mushroom Pie
Enjoy this pot pie with a side salad and mashed potato to soak up all that yummy gravy.
An absolutely yummy recipe!
This easy recipe serves 4 persons.
For a good steak pie, you must start with good quality meat like round or topside steak.
Steak and Mushroom Filling
Brush Pastry With Milk To Help Brown
Meat Pie Recipe
• 2 lb/1 kg good quality round or topside steak, diced chunkily
• 2 large onions, diced
• 5 - 6 large mushrooms, about 4 oz or 250gm, sliced
• 1 tbs soy sauce
• 1 tbs sugar
• 1 bay leaf if you have one in the pantry
• 6 tsp beef gravy powder
• 1 1/2 cups water
• salt and pepper to taste
• 2 weetbix crushed
• 1 tsp cornflour, mixed with a little water (if necessary)
Here's how to make the yummy pie:
• Preheat oven to 350F/180C
• In a hot saucepan, brown onions and meat
• Add gravy powder and cook for a couple of minutes
• Add seasoning and water. Mix to combine.
• Turn the heat down to simmer and leave to cook for about an hour
• Add in the cereal to thicken, cook for a further 5 minutes
• If the sauce is insufficiently thick, then add the cornflour
• In the meantime, cook the mushrooms separately. When cooked add to the
cooked meat sauce. Don't cook the mushrooms with the meat as it should
not be cooked for an hour
• Spoon the meat filling into a casserole dish
• Top with pastry. Decorate pastry with excess bits of pastry and then
brush with a little milk to help brown it. Alternatively use egg wash
• Bake at 400F/200C for 15 - 20 minutes till golden brown
Serve with mashed potato and just cooked greens or a crunchy side salad.
If you wish, grease the inside of the casserole dish before proceeding with the recipe. I generally omit this step to reduce our consumption of fat.
Easy Recipes > Tasty Dinners > Meat Pie Recipe