Easy Coq Au Vin in 20 minutes
Make this delicious easy coq au vin in just 20 minutes! Coq au vin is french for chicken with wine. It is a deeply rich flavorsome french provincial meal and is ideal if you have left over full bodied red wine for cooking.
It's from our collection of easy recipes with step by step photo tutorials so you can see each stage of the process.
All the ingredients are readily available in any supermarket.
Rating: Very Easy
Hands-On Time: 5 minutes
Hands-Off Time: 15 minutes
Coq Au Vin In 20 Minutes
This recipe makes 4 serves.
- 8 mushrooms, sliced
- 4 bacon rashers, sliced
- 1 onion
- 1/2 pound/ 250 gm chicken pieces
- 2 tbs red wine vinegar
- 1 ts sugar
- salt, pepper
- 1 stock cube
- 1 heaped tb flour
- 2 heaped tb tomato paste
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 c red wine
- In a non-stick pot fry on high heat, the mushrooms and bacon pieces
- If you have time, in a separate bowl, marinade the chicken pieces with salt, pepper, sugar and red wine vinegar. But I never have time, so it's marinaded for all of 1 minute!
- Add onion and chicken and fry till the onion is soft
- Toss in the flour and mix through so that there are no lumps of flour
- Toss in all the other ingredients and mix together
- Turn the heat down to medium high, cover with a tight fitting lid and allow to rapidly simmer for 15 minutes and the sauce will thicken
- Serve hot with crusty french bread and a fresh green salad
Step By Step Photo Tutorial
Easy Coq Au Vin
Click on each photo for a larger image and for complete instructions.
- Fry bacon strips and mushrooms
- Here's the chicken pieces marinading, ready to be added
- Cook the flour by mixing into the bacon and mushrooms.
- Toss in the remainder of the ingredients
- Cook till the sauce is thickened. It only takes 15 minutes
- Delicious! Serve this rich coq au vin with its deep rich red wine flavor with crusty french bread and a crunchy salad.
Tips From Easy Recipes
- Cut the bacon into strips with your kitchen scissors. Don't bother using a knife. Truly, kitchen scissors make work so much quicker. Cut the bacon right over the pot and allow the strips to drop in as you cut.
- Never season mushrooms before they are cooked else they'll sweat. So cook them first before adding seasoning.
- If you have time, marinade the chicken for a couple of hours in the refrigerator, by putting the seasoning and meat in a plastic bag. But I never have time so it's quickly marinaded for a minute or so before cooking.
- Now this coq au vin is a richly flavored meal, so be sure the sides are not overly tasty. Balance the meal with a contrast of flavors and textures. The coq au vin is soft and has a rich sauce, so serve with a crunchy fresh salad with little to no dressing and with crusty french bread.