Here are the step by step photos for this easy healthy recipe which is a dish inspired by a recipe from Jamie Oliver's excellent book "Cook With Jamie - My Guide To Making You A Better Cook".
To find the full recipe with the proportions just click on the image below.
Here are the ingredients for my version of Chicken Agro Dolce, varied so that the steps are easier. It still produced a sensationally delicious and flavorsome dinner!
For the list of ingredients, please visit the full recipe by clicking on the first image on this page. The recipe has been inspired by the Jamie Oliver recipe for Chicken Agro Dolce.
This is a recipe with a delicate balance of sweet and sour being a combination of oranges, sultanas, rosemary, sun dried tomatoes, red wine vinegar and 3 glasses of full bodied red wine. It is simply superb!
1. Firstly brown the meat in a little olive oil. I used olive oil steeped with rosemary and chilli for that bit of piquancy.
Remove them from the pan, place them on a roasting pan and arrange the rosemary and cut oranges. Sprinkle ground cinnamon over the meat.
2. With a little more oil, fry the onions and celery till soft. I used the oil from the jar of sun - dried tomatoes.
Doesn't this look so healthy and gorgeous!
3. Next tip in the drained sliced sun dried tomatoes. In Jamie's recipe he recommend you smoosh it (in a food processor) with red wine so that it's nicely pulped, but I omitted this procedure and just tipped the tomatoes in with the vegetables.
These vegetables in the hot pan give the most aromatic and deliciously mouth watering aromas.
4. Now pour in the red wine vinegar and it will sizzle. Stir to combine the flavors. Pour in all the red wine. Bring to the boil then turn the heat down to a simmer till the sauce reduces a little.
Throw in the sultanas as well.
Ladle the sauce over the chicken arranged in the oven- proof dish.
Bake for 10 minutes.
5. Take it out of the oven and lay bacon over the chicken and scattered almonds. Put it back in the oven till the bacon is crisp and golden, for about 20 - 30 minutes.
The bacon slices helps to protect the chicken meat and to keep it moist.
6. Allow to rest for 10 minutes before plating. I've served this delicious easy healthy recipe with roast potatoes, seasoned with garlic and rosemary, as well as roasted sweet potato.
You family and friends will just love this full flavored meal...and it's so healthy with only a little oil in the cooking.
Tips From Easy Recipes
For healthy cooking, take the time to trim away all chicken fat.
Use a non-stick fry pan so as to avoid or at least minimize the use of oil.