Chicken Noodle Soup
The Asian Way
With Clear Soup, No Fat and Baby Bok Choy
The famous chef, Stephanie Alexander describes Chicken Noodle Soup, Asian Style, as the way this soup should be!
....There are no dairy products
...no added fat, no additives
...simple clear pure broth
...and quickly blanched leafy vegetables.
- Chicken drumsticks or purchased stock and cooked chicken meat
- ham slices, (optiona)
- Baby bok choy
Either make the stock or, purchase it and bring to the boil.
Prepare the veg.
Blanch quickly. Stems first.
Pour boiling water over the noodles. Tease to separate.
Divide the ingredients into 4 bowls for serving. Here it is. All ready for the hot stock to be poured over and its ready to be served.
Chicken Noodle Soup Asian Style
This recipe makes 4 generous main meal sized serves.
The first step of making the stock can be omitted by using a purchased product.
Make the stock:
• 2 lb/1 kg chicken drumsticks
• 6 cups of water
• salt and pepper to taste
• 2 tbsp light soy sauce
(Alternatively, use 6 cups/1.5 liters of chicken stock, brought to boiling )
• Pop all the ingredients into a large soup pot and bring to the boil for 10 minutes
• Turn the heat down to simmer and cook for a further hour
• When the chicken is cooked, remove the chicken and shred the meat. Reserve the meat, discard the bones.
• Surplus stock and meat can be frozen for use at a later time
Assemble The Noodle Soup
• 1 pound/500 grams of fresh egg noodles (also called Hokkien noodles)
• Boiling water
• Shredded meat from the drumsticks - about 3 cups of cooked chicken meat
• (Optional) 4 slices of sandwich ham, sliced into 1 inch slices
• 1 bunch of bok choy, rinsed and chopped into 1 inch lengths
• (Optional) 1 tsp oil
• Place the noodles into a large pot. Pour boiling water over it. The Asians add oil at this stage as it helps loosen the noodle strands. Using a pair of tongs tease and separate the strands of noodle. This process also warms up the noodles
• Drain and divide amongst 4 deep bowls
• Quickly blanch the baby bok choy by placing them into the hot stock and withdrawing so that it is only just blanched. TIP: Toss in the stems first as they take just a little longer to soften
• Drain and distribute evenly over the 4 bowls of noodles
• Top with shredded chicken and ham
• Pour hot stock over the noodle dish
• Serve immediately
This noodle dish is something different and makes for a quick, yet
hearty and nutritious meal. You'll have your family rushing home
for delicious chicken noodle soup.
I love that this meal has very little fat and is just pure goodness.
Tips From Easy Recipes
- To cook the greens evenly, cut the stems in thin slices. I cut
it in half vertically then into one inch lengths. When blanching, cook
the stems firstly. After a couple of minutes, then add the leaves. The
leaves just need to be quickly blanched, then all the veg taken out of
the stock. This way you retain the fresh greenness and crunch of the
- Substitute snow peas for vegetables.
- Substitute with any cooked meat such as sliced turkey, roast beef slices, ham slices, in lieu of chicken.
- If you don't have fresh noodles, use instant noodles and cook
them according to instructions on the packet, omitting the packaged flavors.
Easy Recipes | Easy Soup Recipes | Chicken Soup Recipes | Chicken Noodle Soup