This elegant recipe for ground beef, is not one of my cheap quick easy dinner recipes. It is fiddly to make but the result is divine and it looks sensational!
Ground Beef Wellington
Layer meat mixture, cheese and spinach and then reverse the layers
Prepare meat mixture
Join pastry sheet by overlapping the half sheet of pastry. Use a little water at the join
Layer meat mixture, cheese layer then spinach
Repeat the layers in reverse
Top with pastry, decorate with excess pastry bits and apply egg wash
Here it is!
Beautifully golden brown
Serve with dark green veg like brocolli
Ground Beef Wellington Plated
Enjoy this scrumptious meal!
|Just Add||Prepare Savory Ground Beef|
|• 1 lb/500 gm premium ground beef
• 1 onion, diced finely
• 1 capsicum, diced small
• 2 tbs tomato paste
• 1 1/2 cups breadcrumbs or weetbix
• 2 eggs, beaten
• 2 heaped ts stock powder
• salt and pepper to taste
• Preheat oven to 3900F/200C
• Combine all ingredients
|Layer Filling On Pastry|
|• 3 sheets of puff pastry
• 3/4 pound /375 gm ricotta cheese
• 2 cubes/ 1/2 cup of frozen spinach
• 1 egg, beaten for egg wash
• Cut 1/2 sheet of pastry and join to a full sheet. Use a little water where the pastry joins and press down firmly with your fingers.
• Prepare a second sheet with 1 1/2 sheets of pastry, for the top
• Lay the base sheet of pastry on greased large oblong oven proof tray, so that you can serve it directly from the oven
• Spoon 2/3 of the meat mixture onto the pastry sheet. Use a flat spoon or spatula to compact the meat mixture. Leave a margin around the pastry sheet of about 3/4 inch.
• Layer with half the ricotta cheese
• Layer with the spinach as a center strip
• Reverse the layers, with the remaining ricotta cheese, the rest of the meat mixture and top with another sheet of joined 1 1/2 sheets of pastry
• Fold the top sheet of pastry over the mound of layered meat and cheese filling. Press the top and bottom sheets of pastry together firmly, using a fork to firmly encase the filling.
• Trim away any excess pastry to use later to decorate. Fold the bottom pastry sheet up so that the meat is firmly enclosed.
• Cut small holes in the top of the pastry with a blunt knife. Decorate with surplus pastry. Brush with an egg wash
• Bake for 45 minutes till golden brown