Our best homemade spaghetti sauce recipe is so easy that it's what I cook at our ski lodge. This throw it all in one pot recipe is one of my wonderfully delicious but easy pasta recipes.
If you'd like to go straight to the spaghetti sauce recipe, just click here.
Cooking at the ski lodge is a challenge as skiers demand the BEST meals after a day on the slopes and you need to create wonderful yummy meals in a lodge kitchen that's not well equipped.
OK...this one pot meal is E-A-S-Y.
I'm big on using only the best, natural ingredients to create good home cooked meals. So, the same goes in creating the best homemade spaghetti sauce.
...and buy only the best quality ground beef with little fat.
I'm sorry there are no pictures as I cooked this yummy meal in the common kitchen at our ski lodge.
Firstly brown the meat and onions, then throw in the vegetables, tinned tomatoes and puree. Season it, simmer and lastly, stir through the last two ingredients and ...
It is just the best and you know exactly what's gone into your sauce.
Now, the secret in creating this best homemade spaghetti sauce recipe, is to only stir through the sour cream and peas at the end of the cooking process. Sour cream adds depth to the flavor and if you just warm through the frozen peas (don't cook it), the peas retain its fresh green color and fresh crunch.
• 1 lb/ 500gm premium grade ground beef
• 1 large onion, diced finely
• 2 carrots, diced finely
• 1 can diced tomatoes
• 2 heaped tbs tomato puree
• 1 cup chicken stock (liquid)
• 1 tbs red wine vinegar
• salt pepper, brown sugar, season to taste
• 1 cup sour cream
• 2 cups frozen peas
• 1/2 cup red wine (optional)
• In a hot non stick large pot, brown onions and meat. Using premium grade ground beef means there will be very little excess fat
• Throw in all the other ingredients except the sour cream and peas
• Combine well, bring to the boil for 5 minutes, then lower heat till simmer
• Cook for about 15 - 20 minutes till the sauce thickens
• Stir through sour cream and simmer for 5 minutes
• Lastly stir through the frozen peas and serve immediately