Carol's easy christmas candy recipe
Carol shares this yummy and yet so incredibly easy Christmas candy recipe.
Rating: Very Easy
Hands On Time : 15 Minutes
This makes an ideal pot luck contribution to a Christmas gathering.
A Throw Together Easy Christmas Candy
To make a tray, you'll need:
- 1/2 box of salty crackers, like saltines
- 2 sticks/ 1 block/ 8 oz/ 250 gm butter
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1 block/ 8 oz/ 250 gm dark chocolate
- 1/2 cup chopped pistachios
- Preheat the oven to 380F/ 190 C
- Line the baking tray with parchment or baking paper
- arrange the crackers on the base
- In a pot, melt together butter and brown sugar, combine till thick and pour over the crackers
- Bake in the oven for about 8 minutes
- Scatter over broken up chocolate pieces. Put it back in the oven to help melt. This will take no more than 3 - 4 minutes
- Remove and with the back of a flat knife, swirl the melted chocolate evenly over the surface.
- Scatter over the roughly chopped up pistachios
- Allow to cool either in the refrigerator or at room temperature
- When the layers harden, break it up roughly and serve
- This easy Christmas candy recipe stores well in an airtight container
Tips From Easy Recipes
This Christmas candy recipe is incredibly unhealthy but so very "more-ish". But not to worry, it's only once a year we eat such rich food.
- For any recipe that calls for chocolate, always use the best quality eating, not cooking grade choc.
- If you're giving this candy as a gift, allow to cool at room temperature and not in the 'fridge, as chocolate chilled gets a white bloom
- This recipe is so quick to make, it is ideal to throw together just before going to a Christmas party or a pot luck "do". By the time you get to the party, the candy will have cooled and hardened.
- Use any nuts of your choice, but I like pistachios because of the color contrast
- For that added health aspect, add dried cranberries or blueberries to scatter over the top with nuts.