It's so easy to make a healthy chicken casserole. I've used our family's favorite casserole recipe which came from Grandma's collection of recipes and have substituted modern day low fat alternatives.
It remains sensationally delicious.
Click on the photo to take you directly to the recipe.
Now, here's my secret to healthy chicken recipes:
1. Always trim the fat off the meat before cooking. It's saturated fats and extremely unhealthy.
2. I always use chicken thigh meat rather than breast as the latter is too fine and becomes tough when cooked for a long time such as in casseroles.
3. Use non-stick pans so as to avoid or minimize the use of oil.
4. Flavor with loads of fresh vegetables including strong tasting veg such as onions, leeks, carrots and celery. Vegetables don't just add healthy fiber to the casserole but adds depth of flavor.
5. Instead of flour, I use as a binder or thickener, weetbix.
Here's my Grandma's recipe modified to be low fat. If you wish to see the original version, please visit: Easy Chicken Casserole Recipe.
We use deep casserole dishes just like these. These are from Corningware who are renowned for oven proof glass ware that can go from the oven to the table.