It's so easy to make a healthy chicken casserole. I've used our family's favorite casserole recipe which came from Grandma's collection of recipes and have substituted modern day low fat alternatives.
It remains sensationally delicious.
Click on the photo to take you directly to the recipe.
Now, here's my secret to healthy chicken recipes:
1. Always trim the fat off the meat before cooking. It's saturated fats and extremely unhealthy.
2. I always use chicken thigh meat rather than breast as the latter is too fine and becomes tough when cooked for a long time such as in casseroles.
3. Use non-stick pans so as to avoid or minimize the use of oil.
4. Flavor with loads of fresh vegetables including strong tasting veg such as onions, leeks, carrots and celery. Vegetables don't just add healthy fiber to the casserole but adds depth of flavor.
5. Instead of flour, I use as a binder or thickener, weetbix.
Here's my Grandma's recipe modified to be low fat. If you wish to see the original version, please visit: Easy Chicken Casserole Recipe.
Easy Healthy Chicken Casserole
This recipe makes 8 servings and is delicious served with fluffy white rice and sauteed greens.
• 8 chicken thigh fillets, all fat trimmed and cut into chunks
• 1 onion, diced
• 4 tsp paprika
• salt and pepper to taste
• 2 chicken stock cubes
• 1 cup white wine
• 1 1/2 cups lite cream cheese
• 1 cup crumbed weetbix
• 2 sticks celery, diced
• 2 carrots, diced
This is Grandma's procedure in making this tasty casserole :
• Preheat oven to 400F/200C
• In a hot non-stick pan, brown the chicken meat
• Remove chicken onto a plate on kitchen paper to drain
• Add to the non-stick fry pan, diced onions and saute till soft
• Add stock cubes, seasoning, crumbed weetbix and wine bring to boiling then lower heat to simmer gently till the sauce reduces
• Stir in the cream cheese and simmer for 5 minutes but do not allow it to boil
• Place the chicken and diced celery and carrots into a large casserole dish, or into two casserole dishes, making sure to fill it to 3/4's, so that the liquid does not bubble over
• Pour over creamy sauce
• Cover, bake for 1 hour
We use deep casserole dishes just like these. These are from Corningware who are renowned for oven proof glass ware that can go from the oven to the table.
Leave Easy Healthy Chicken Casserole to browse through hundreds of scrumptious easy recipes that will have them running home to dinner!