This Homemade Pumpkin Pie Recipe is sensational - looks divine, tastes superb!
While the steps in this recipe are easy, it is fiddly handling pastry, but well worth the effort. Afterall, homemade is best!
|• 3 sheets store bought pastry
• 2 1/2 pounds / 1.2 kg pumpkin
• 6 oz/180 gm Feta cheese
• 2 ts cumin seeds
• Egg white from 1 egg, lightly beaten
• freshly ground pepper to taste
• Preheat oven to 425F/200C
• Cut a round of pastry, using the base of the springform pan as a template, and leaving a generous margin of about 3/4 inch.
• Drop the sheet into the pan and press down so that it lines the base and part of the wall of the spring form pan. Use a pair of scissors to snip the sheet of dough (like dress darts) so that it lies flat when vertical.
• Cut the second sheet into 3's. Use them to line the walls of the baking tin/springform pan. To join layers of pastry, moisten the edges with a little water then layer then join the sheets.
• Brush with egg wash and bake for 10 minutes. The egg wash creates a barrier so that the filling does not later make the pie crust soggy.
• In the meantime, prepare the pumpkin by removing the skin and seeds. Cut into chunks
• Place into a sauce pan with a cup salted water. Boil for 8 - 10 minutes on high. The pumpkin should be cooked but not overly soft. It should have some texture for a "heartier" mouth feel.
• Drain the pumpkin.
• The baked base should be ready at this stage. Remove it from the oven to cool. If you've used puff pastry, it will rise. That's fine. just cut little snips in the base with a pair of kitchen scissors in 3 - 4 spots and press the baked sheet back down.
• Fill with 1/2 the pumpkin mixture. Then layer with 1/2 the feta cheese. Sprinkle over cumin seeds and cracked pepper.
• Layer a second layer of pumpkin then feta and finish with a layer of pumpkin, putting more toward the center so that it looks like a mound.
• Top with the third sheet of pastry. Trim to fit and decorate with extra bits of dough. Brush with beaten egg white.
• Bake for 20 minutes till golden brown.