Homemade Pumpkin Pie
Here is a delicious yet incredibly easy homemade pumpkin pie with an ever popular filling of with bacon and eggs. This, like our collection of easy recipes, this so very tasty yet super easy to make.
Hands-On Time: 30 minutes
Hands-Off Time: 30 minutes
Steps: 4 then bake
Ingredients for a Homemade Pumpkin Pie
Here are the step by step instructions on how to make this delicious and very easy homemade pie but if you're new to baking, and want specific instructions, just click on the "Learn How" buttons so that you can see exactly the process at each stage.
- Equipment: Springform Pan
- Pastry sheets
4 Steps To An Oh So Delicious Homemade Pumpkin Pie With Bacon and Eggs
Bake the shell using two sheets of pastry.
Prepare the real pumpkin and cook the bacon.
Fill the baked pastry shell.
Finally top with pastry and decorate.
Bake it! And that's it!
Look at this beautifully baked pie and truly, it is fabulously delicious and so easy to do! There's something special, comforting and authentic, about recipes with the homemade touch
This recipe makes 6 generous servings.
|• 3 sheets store bought rolled out pastry
• 1 pound/500 grams bacon
• 1 1/2 pounds/700 grams pumpkin, cooked till tender
• 6 eggs
Step 1: Make Pie Crust Shell
• Preheat oven to 350F/180C
• Drop one sheet of defrosted rolled - out pastry into the springform pan
• Drop the other sheet at an angle to cover the exposed walls of the pan
• Level the top of the wall by snipping off the excess with a pair of kitchen scissors. Use the surplus to patch the wall of pie crust so that there is an even edge all around
• Brush on egg-wash to seal the shell
• Bake for 15 minutes
Step 2: Cook the homemade pie filling
• Trim the fresh pumpkin, remove seeds, cut into chunks, rinse them.
• Boil in salted water till tender but not mushy
• Drain the cooked pumpkin well. There must not be excess liquid
• Cook the bacon in a skillet or fry pan
Step 3: Fill the Pie Shell
• Place all the bacon into the shell
• Layer with half the pumpkin pieces
• Crack eggs and drop it whole into the filling, but spread them around the filling. Be sure to prick the yolks with a fork or the tip of a little knife
Step 4: Finish Off and Bake
• Top with the last sheet of defrosted rolled-out pastry, trimming the edge so that the top fits snugly over the filling
• Decorate as you wish. As you'll see in the image, I've chosen to decorate with little balls by rolling tiny amounts of off-cuts
• Apply egg-wash. This helps with browning
• Bake for 30 minutes
When cooked, allow to cool, then release the lever on the springform pan and remove the wall.
Plate this lovely homemade pie and enjoy!
Wasn't this just so easy!
How To Make Egg-Wash
Egg wash is lightly beaten egg white.
Crack an egg in half to separate the whites, allowing the egg white to run into a small bowl while the yolk is retained in the half shell. Just drop the yolk in with the filling.
Whisk the whites lightly with a fork.
Tips For An Easy And Delicious Homemade Pie
If you have puff pastry in the freezer, use this as the top sheet. So, you'd have the two bottom sheets as short crust pastry and the top one is puff.
Layer as you choose starting with pumpkin or bacon, but the eggs would go in as the middle layer
Pricking the yolks stops them exploding while being cooked.
For recipes with the homemade touch, you still want it delicious and the crust, crusty, so don't be tempted to overlook the process of sealing with the wash. The first application of egg-wash seals the pastry and stops the base going soggy when filling is added. In the application on the top sheet, it helps the process of browning.
Leave Homemade Pumpkin Pie and explore this site for hundreds of wonderfully simple to make tasty one pot recipes you can prepare in a flash.