Diabetic Pumpkin Pie Recipe
This savory diabetic pumpkin pie recipe is made of several layers of fine filo pastry wrapped around a filling of tasty chicken and pumpkin.
Just look at this...sensational!...and it tastes divine! Caution though, working with diaphanous material is not easy.
Rating: Fussy. A lot of handling but not difficult. This is NOT an easy recipe.
Hands-On Time: 30 minutes
Hands-Off Time: 45 minutes
Steps: 5 - Be aware that this recipe requires careful delicate handling
Diabetic Pumpkin Pie Recipe - Ingredients
Close up of the ingredients
- A non-stick spring form pan
- Sheets of filo pastry
- Good quality oil such as rice bran oil
- chicken fillet, cut into chunks
- Pumpkin, cut into chunks
- Soya sauce
- Corn flour
- Cumin sees
- Low fat Greek Yoghurt
- salt and pepper to taste
Cook the pumpkin, add yoghurt and seasoning to the pureed pumpkin pie filling.
Prepare the marinaded chicken filling for a delicious pie.
Learn how to handle the layers of delicate filo, for this elegant diabetic pumpkin pie recipe.
Place the filling into the spring form pan draped with the delicate oiled sheets.
Glaze then bake to create this elegant diabetic pumpkin pie.
Isn't this just beautiful!
This Pie Goes Perfectly With...
Enjoy this delicious pie for dinner or lunch. It makes a filling meal with sides of roast potatoes and quick winter greens.
Diabetic Pumpkin Pie Recipe
Pumpkin and Chicken Filo Pie
• 500gm/1 pound chicken meat diced
• 1 tbs oil
• 2 tbs soy sauce
• 1 tsp cornflour
• salt, pepper
• 1 tbs Greek yoghurt
• 500 gm/1 pound pumpkin
• 10 - 15 sheets of filo
• 1 ts cumin seeds
• salt, pepper
• 1/2 cup good quality vegetable oil
Here's how to put it together:
• Preheat oven to 360F/180C
Prepare the filling
Firstly marinade the chicken
• Marinade the meat with cornflour, salt, pepper and soy sauce
• Stir so that the meat is well covered by the marinade
• Cover and leave aside in the refrigerator while you work on preparing the pumpkin
Prepare the pumpkin pie filling
• Trim, de-seed and wash the pumpkin. Cut into chunks
• Boil the pumpkin in salted water till very soft
• When cooked, drain away all the water. Then mash, season with salt, pepper, cumin seeds and add the greek yoghurt
• Put aside the seasoned mashed vegetable while you prepare the rest of the pie recipe
Cook the meat
• Pan fry the marinaded meat in a tablespoon of oil
• When cooked, leave it aside till the pastry is prepared
Prepare the fine sheets:
• Each sheet should be oiled on both sides. Brush lightly onto each sheet with a pastry brush or use a can of spray
• Take care to brush the edges
• Once oiled, drape each sheet into the spring form pan, pressing gently
the filo sheet into the base and wall of the pan. Allow the sheets to
hang over the edge. Drape them at angles to each other so that they
criss-cross each other
Fill the Pie
• Spoon half the pumpkin mixture into the base of the filo shell.
• Spoon in all the cooked meat filling
• Top with the remainder of the pumpkin mixture
• Gently fold over the leaves of the filo pastry so that the pie is
wrapped up gently. Leave the outer top leaves loose so that they stick
Glaze then bake
• Glaze the pie with the remainder of the oil, taking care to oil every nook and cranny.
• Bake for 45 minutes till golden brown
- On removal from the oven, allow the pie to cool for 10 minutes. it will continue to cook internally during this time
- When the pan is cool enough to touch, release the pie by lifting the lever on the side. Be sure that it is sitting firmly on a platter before removing the sides. On release, remove the walls, then slide the pie off the base onto the serving platter.
- We use rice bran oil as it is suitable for high temperature cooking
- Be sure to have a large flat clean surface to work on - this recipe takes up a lot of room when handling sheets of filo. Allow sufficient room to place two sets of sheets - one set oiled, the other to be oiled.
- This recipe is especially tasty when the meat is allowed to marinade for at least a couple of hours
- A diabetic recipe is a healthy recipe with no sugar and no saturated fats.
Home Page | Easy Pumpkin Recipes | Diabetic Pumpkin Pie Recipe